This is an article I wrote for Boomercafe.com check them out.
1. Now that you’re close to 60, you just better hurry up and get on with your life. It’s yours anyway. And you don’t have much time left. And if you are younger than this, start thinking about it. Your age will creep right up on you without you knowing it. Get busy.
Deby at her outdoor kitchen.
2. You can’t know how differently people think, unless you go and see for yourself. Travel will make you a more understanding person and so much more open minded.
3. Don’t think too much about it! If you do, you may never leave your little piece of earth. There is a whole lot more out there than you know. Get adventurous. Take a chance on your life.
The beach is a 15 minute walk from Deby’s home.
4. Eat Eat Eat. Try different foods. Cook different food, drink different drinks, look at different people and step into their homes and have a meal that makes your taste buds do a dance. You will meet people from all over the world wherever you go. Talk about food. Food will always connect us to each other.
5. Just think about a beautiful beach you can walk on every day and collect sea glass or just be in the moment. Surf in your sixties, swim in the ocean. Or just sit on the beach and contemplate the life you are living in the moment.
Deby’s husband Chuck regularly surfs.
6. It’s the fountain of youth! You will feel better just knowing you are doing something unusual, something that most of your friends are not doing, but maybe thinking about. You be the one. You be the explorer of your own life.
7. Having a cold beer and watching the sunset is a simple and profound thing. Yes the beer has to be cold. I am on the beach in Costa Rica, for goodness sakes.
8. At 60 and beyond, your bones will will thank you if you move to a warm climate. Make your bones happy, will ya.
9. Listen! Really listen to your surroundings. If you are lucky enough, you may hear nothing. Or you will hear the sounds of mother nature, monkeys, birds, the ocean.
10. You may even lose your virginity again on a deserted island or some beautiful beach somewhere, with your husband or friend. Who cares!
11. Maybe you think you should take your time but think about this: by the time you think too much about it, you might be dead and your kids will take your money and do it for you.